Connecting your EasyVFR 4 to SkyEcho 2
Are you looking to enhance your flying experience with real-time traffic updates? Look no further than the SkyEcho 2 and EasyVFR 4 app! In this article, we'll walk you through the steps to connect and configure your devices for optimal performance.
Step 1: Power on the SkyEcho 2
The SkyEcho 2 will automatically activate its Wi-Fi network, making it easy to connect to.
Step 2: Connect your EasyVFR 4 device to the SkyEcho Wi-Fi network
The app will automatically detect and use the GPS and data broadcasted over the SkyEcho network.
For those looking to customize their settings, we'll explain how to verify and change the GPS source, electronic conspicuity settings, and traffic settings.
- To be sure that your SkyEcho 2 is set up properly, you can go with a browser (if connected to the SkyEcho wifi network) to its IP address 192.168.4.1 - the receiver mode should be set to FLARM.
- To verify and change which GPS source is used by EasyVFR 4, open the Status card using the status dot and go to "Position".
- The active GPS Source will have a leading green checkmark symbol. When EV4 detects the Skyecho 2 but currently does not use it as a GPS location source (because it indicates the position is inaccurate), then the corresponding line will be colored dimmed green. In that case, traffic information is still available.
- To verify and change the electronic conspicuity settings, open the Status card using the status dot and go to "Traffic".
- If the GPS Source is set to Automatic, then EasyVFR 4 will switch to the devices internal built-in GPS if the SkyEcho 2 unit is unavailable.
- Under uAvionix SkyEcho 2 - Decode FLARM position data should be set green.
Traffic Vertical Proximity is set by default to 3000ft. You can increase this to see more, for example, to see even the higher airliners.
- The non-bearing banners are the data SE2 receives without an exact position. They will be shown as a banner on the left of the screen with the available info. You can edit the maximum number to be shown under 'Max. Non-bearing banners'.
- If you have a transmitter in your plane or other planes you would like to hide you can filter them under 'Callsigns to ignore'.
If you're having trouble connecting EasyVFR to your SkyEcho 2, we've provided a list of possible solutions.
When there is no symbol leading the source"GDL90 Stratux, PilotAware, uAvionics SkyEcho (UDP)" it means EasyVFR4 has not detected the SkyEcho 2, which means either the SE2:
- Is not turned on (solution: turn it on).
- Or the tablet is not connected to the WiFi network offered by the SE2 (solution: connect your device to the SE2 Wi-Fi network).
- Or another app on the same device is already using the connection to the SE2 (solution: close any active app on your tablet).
Select the back arrow, (top left-hand corner) to return to the Status card. Select Traffic. Configure the settings as follows:
- Traffic Vertical Proximity: As desired in order to filter out unwanted traffic. The suggested value is 3000ft.
- Max. Non-bearing banners: N/A as SkyEcho 2 no longer supports Mode C/S traffic.
Use EasyVFR4 warnings: On or Off depending if you want voice alerts. (see Audio section below)
- Use Device warnings: N/A
- Callsigns to ignore: Not Set
- Altitudes in 1000ft: Select On or Off depending on whether you want to see the full separation height.
- Traffic Collision Voice Alarm: Select On or Off depending on whether you want audio alerts of traffic in your vicinity.
Optional: FLARM position license
For those who want to see FLARM position data on their maps, we'll explain how to purchase and load a FLARM license to your EasyVFR account.
Different than ADS-B, FLARM encrypts its position for receivers from other manufacturers. To be able to see the FLARM position on the map you need the EasyVFR 4 Flarm license sold in our shop attached to your EasyVFR account. Due to Flarm policy, it is not possible to attach a Flarm license bought somewhere else to your EasyVFR account. The full amount you pay with us goes to Flarm.
To load your Flarm license to EasyVFR 4 - update the AeroData to pick up your Flarm license bought at our shop. Go to Status card -> Data -> AeroData -> Update All Data.